HOME‎ > ‎

HISTORY

Presented here is the Troop history written and compiled by William Falconer III along with links to other materials from an archive preserved by the Falconers and Lavoies.  Bill held many positions over his decades of involvement in Troop 180, Explorer Post 180, and in the District, Council, and Region of the B.S.A. His father was a Troop 180 Scoutmaster and the namesake of our camp. 
 

TRANSCRIPT OF THE FIRST MEETING MINUTES

         THE FIRST MEETING MINUTES
(Copied from the original hand written minutes)                                                        

February 27,1939. Troop 180 Ludlow Mass.

 

First meeting of Troop 180, St. John Baptiste Church, Boy Scouts of America.

 

Meeting began at 7 P.M. with the introduction of our Troop committeemen. Chairman of this committee, Edgar Beauregard, gave a short talk pledging himself to do his best to make a success of our new Troop. Walter Sedelow another committeeman gave a short talk. Homer Domaingue, co-founder of the new Troop, also spoke a few words and issued a challenge from Troop 181 to meet them in competition anytime we find ourselves ready.

 

Mr. Hambridge, field executive from Hampden Council Boy Scout Headquarters, gave the boys a very inspiring and interesting talk on Scouting in Scout work.

 

Eight former Boy Scouts were registered to enable us to receive out Troop Charter from National Headquarters.

 

Nothing much happened this evening in a way of teaching the boys their tenderfoot requirements and names of all the boys present were taken. There were 41 boys totally counted with the exception of the 2 Assistants and Scoutmaster.

 

We adjourned early so that we could attend the District Meeting being held at Pine Point. Mr. Hambridge promised to have the Charter for us as soon as possible.

We adjourned at 8:30 P.M.

                                                Raymond Dumais

                                                 Scribe


THE FIRST YEAR  (from document dated 1/17/1990 by William Falconer III)

Boy Scouting in the United States began on February 8, 1910. The first Boy Scout Troops were sponsored by YMCA or Protestant Church groups.

Until 1938 the only Boy Scout Troop in Ludlow was Troop 181 sponsored by the Protestant men of the Union Church on North Street. As a result Catholic parents frowned on the Scouting program for their boys. As Scouting became popular some Catholic boys did join Troop 131. Knowing the thinking of their parents many boys of St. John the Baptist Parish expressed a desire to have their own Troop.

St. John's Pastor, Reverend E. M. Chabot understood the need for a youth program in his parish. He began working on developing a Troop with the few men of the parish who had some knowledge of Scouting. With the urging of the parish boys who had joined Troop 181 and the arrival of his new Curate Reverend Raoul W. Ouellette the time to move forward was at hand. Father Ouellette held an informal meeting with eight boys and five men. A committee of three men was given the task of chartering a new Boy Scout Troop.
The first Charter listed Edgar Beauregard as Committee Chairman with Walter Sedelow and Alfred LeMoine as Committeemen, Reverend Raoul W. Ouelette the Scoutmaster and Louis Girard and Ernest Dumont Assitant Scoutmasters. The first Scouts were Edward Boucher, Raymond Dumais, Adrian Dube, George Dumaingue Jr., Arthur Duquette, Maurice Lavoie, Edmond Syriac and George Tetreault. This Charter was for a nine month period.

The news of the new Troop in the parish prompted more boys to quickly join the movement. The first official meeting, recorded by the Troop Scribe Raymond Dumais, was held on February 27, 1939 at the Parish School with forty one boys and men present.

The first Charter was officially presented to Revernd E. M. Chabot on March 9, 1939 by Chief Scout Executive John C. Norsk of the Hampden Council of Scouting. The presentation was made at a the first Council Scout Banquet at the Union Church in Ludlow on the occasion of Troop 181's 25th Anniversary.

During the first year of the Troop, the meetings consisted of scout skills advancement programs, games and boxing matches. Meetings were opened and closed with songs and prayers. At the first parents night held on April 11, George Domaingue Jr. received the Life Scout Award and the Flamming Arrow Patrol received the Patrol Honor Banner. In September the boys served as aides at the Eastern States Exposition. Arthur Duquette became the Troop Scribe. On October 16, Louis Girard was appointed Scoutmaster and Armand R. Langevin Committee Chairman. The second yearly Charter was applied for in November according to Council policy. <return to page index>



THE FIRST 5 YEAR (from documents dated 1/30/1990 and 2/2/1990 by William Falconer III)

During the first five years of the Troop's existance, the Committeemen controlled the admistration and financial needs of the boys. The Scoutmaster ran the troop meeting programs and boy leadership, other than the Scirbe, was powerless. As more experience and education was attained the Troop began to mature.

The second five years were dominated by World War Two. The Scouting program played a large part in the development of patriotic young military men. Many of the boy leaders, Scoutmasters and Committeemen voluntered for service. The Troop 180 boys at home (along with those of Troop 181) contributed to the war effort by conducting paper and scrap drives in Town. After their tours of duty most of these former members returned to the Troop to find it had indeed matured. Committeeman Etallo Salli was one who did not return home.

The Committee had formalized it's meetings including record keeping. Land had been purchased on Alden St. in Ludlow from a Mr. William Hartland to be used for camping and outdoor experiences. A Declaration of Trust was created to legally own the Property with Howard Guertin, Lionel Bourcier, Gedeon Domingue, Theodore Lavigne and Rev. Richard Faucher as the first Trustees.

A former scout, William Falconer Jr. from Troop 181, became the Scoutmaster and Secretary for the Committee. His  leadership contributed to the maturing of the Troop. The Scoutmaster's authority was expanded and included a $5.00 a month expense fund. Advancement was stressed and Oriase Lavoie added a Bronze Palm to his Eagle Award.

1939

February 27. First Troop meeting. Forty one boys present.
Committee Chairman Edgar Beauregard Committeemen Alfred LeMoine, Walter Sedelow Scoutmaster Rev. Raoul W. Ouellette
Assistant Scoutmasters Ernest Dumont, Louis Girard
Troop Scribe Raymond Dumais
March 9. Received first Charter from Chief Norsk at Troop 181 banquet celebrating their 25th anniversary.
April 11. First Parents Night and Court of Honor. George Domaingue Jr. received the Life Scout Award. Honor Banner presented to the Flamming Arrow Patrol.
September 18. Troop sent boys to serve as needed at the Eastern States Exposition. Arthur Duquette appointed Troop Scribe.
October 16. Louis Girard appointed Scoutmaster.
During the first year the Scout meetings consisted of advancement, games and boxing matches. A few hikes and parties also took place.


1940

April 19. Bicycle ride to Enfield Ct.
May 2. American Flag presented to Troop by the Daughters of the Revolution. Troop Flag received the following night at Court of Honor.
November 19. The following boys were promoted as troop leaders. Assistant Scoutmaster Francis Bourbeau Junior Assistant Scoutmasters Maurice Lavoie, John Bourbeau,
Arthur Duquette
Senior Partrol Leader George Tetreault
Patrol Leaders George Tetreault, Lucien Bourbeau, Alfred St. Onge
Hiking and boxing matches were the main events in 1940.


1941

January 25. March of Dimes collections began.
September 19. Joseph Beauregard appointed Scoutmaster Assistant Scoutmaster Maurice Lavoie
Junior Assistant Scoutmaster Lucien Bourbeau
Senior Patrol Leader Alfred Letourneau
Patrol Leaders Romeo Talbot, William Duquette, Eugene Bourcier, George Duquette
Camping trips and swim parties dominated the Summer of 1941 Some boys leave for duty in the Armed Forces


1942

November. Forty two Scouts registered
February. Boy Scout week was observed


1943

January. Court of Honor. Romeo Talbot Promoted to Assistant SM.
Many leaders leave for duty in the Armed Forces.


<return to page index>


THE NEXT YEAR (from documents dated  2/19/1990 by William Falconer III)

1945

Troop 180 receives the Eisenhower War Service Award for it's patriotic efforts. Thirty three boys collected over 1000 pounds of paper each to earn this medal.

Robert Blais        Clement Bourcier    Lawrence Bourcier
Francis Chenaille    Roland Chenaille    Donald Clifford
Anthony Dias        Horace Dias        Roger Dube
Richard Duchesne    Aleric Dumais        William Falconer 3rd
George Garrow Jr.    George Guay        Donald Lake
Daniel Lamontagne    Ronald Langevin        William Laroche
Edward Lavigne        Oriase Lavoie Jr.    Raymond H. Lavoie
Roland Lavoie        John Lewicki        John Martins
Rolland Martins        Ernest Ouellette    Americo Palatino
Alfred Santos        Roger Savoie        Roland Savoie
Joseph Silva        Robert Vermette        William Falconer Jr.


1948

A Troop 180 and Troop 181 competition was held at the St. John the Baptist School Hall with over 150 scouts, scouters and parents in attendance. The events included first aid, signaling, knot tying, compass and fire by flint and steel. Troop 180 had sent Leo Belisle to Troop 181 to learn this last event the week prior to the competition. He surprised everyone by starting a fire in 8 seconds. Overall Troop 180 scored 28 points to Troop 181's 16 and the judges awarded the First Trophy to Troop 180.


1949 (First mention of Explorer Post 180)

Troop and Post 180 participated in the recycling of the 1948 aluminium automobile license plates. A total of 1600 were collected. Over 300 parishoners had their plates removed after the Sunday Masses and replaced with the new 1949 plates. The top individual collectors were Leo Belisle 500, Leandre Boucher 270 and Stanley Haluch with 256.
A 10th Anniversary Banquet was held on February 13, 1949.
A basketball program was developed at the Ludlow Boys Club.


1950

On an October Orienteering hike around the Ludlow Reservoir, James King suffered a wound below the knee while using a machete. Emergency first aid was administered and runners dispatched to the nearest phone for help. Jimmy was carried out of the woods on a make shift stretcher of jackets and poles by the Scouts.


1951

The Patrol corners in the Scout room were turned into cabins made of slab wood. Each Patrol designed their own unique mini-room.
Burr's Bungalow at Facing Rock was the scene of an April week-end camping trip. All the gear and food was carried in from the Chenier Farm on Lyons Street.
A Troop point system was developed to award Scouts for their participation in events, use of uniform and advancement. The 1951 winners included, Leo Vigneault, Albert Fontaine, Rene Lavoie, Richard Rickson and Robert Chenaille.


1951

The last camping trip held in the first camphouse ended at 8:30 P.M. on December 15 when fire was discovered under the camp by Neil Severns. He immediately notified Jim Lavoie who went for help. Other scouts in the camp were Robert Duby, Ernest and Albert Fontaine, Nelson Record, Walter Mosio, Ronald White, Thomas and Roger Gregoire, Charles Chenaille, Leo Vigneault and John Gamache. These boys did a heroic job in saving equipment and personnel gear. William Falconer Jr., Odilla Chenaille and William Jarvis were the first to arrive after the fire trucks. These men drove the boys home while William Falconer 3rd and Alfred Dugas drove his trucks to carry the saved equipment.


1952

The first of many camping trips to Chet's in Northfield MA took place in January with 15 boys attending. This was a winter adventure including tobogganing, skating, snowshoeing and camping in the snow. Chet helped us to replace our camp loss by allowing the troop access to his property and camphouse.
April found the troop making use of the Falconer Farm property in Ludlow for camping and outdoor experiences while a new camp house in the making.


1953

A February Scoutweek camping experience on the front lawn of the St. John the Baptist school was the center of attention for scouting in Ludlow. The annual March of Dimes townwide collection was conducted during this event.


1954

On the 15th Anniversary of the Troop, the records show that 40 scouts, 8 explorers and 17 adults were registered.


1955

The growth of the Troop prompted the creation of Troop A which met on Wednesday nights and Troop B meeting on Thursday.


1956-1958


1959

A total of 50 scouts were active in the Twentieth Year of the Troop. Camping trips averaged 40 boys and leaders with tentage and equipment stretched to the limit.


1960

Troop conducts presidential election poll at the Wide World of Scouting. They are the first to predict John F. Kennedy would defeat Richard M. Nixon. The vote was 575 Kennedy, 276 Nixon.


1961

Explorers conduct mountain climbing and mountain hikes on Mt. Tom, The Holyoke range and Mt. Monadnock.
Bean Suppers help raise funds for the Troop. 1966 Bean Suppers help raise funds for the Troop.


1962-1966

1967

On a camping trip at Camp Ouellette, a fire broke out in the Wildcat Patrol site. Three tents were lost along with some personnel property. The fire was contained by the Scouts to a half acre and was under control when the fire department arrived.
Post 180 participated with other Post of New England in a Science Fair at M.I.T. in Boston MA hosted by the Alphi Phi Omega Scouting Fraternity. Twenty Two explorers and leaders attended. This event was scheduled every other year and was attended by the Post on
several more occasions. The Explorers earned money for this trip by and doing spring clean-up on the H. R. Huntting property.
A spring District Camporee was held at the Knightsville Dam in Huntington, MA.
The Explorers conduct a 50 mile canoe trip on the Conn. River. The trip started at the Vernon Dam in VT. and ended at the Holyoke Dam in MA.


1968

The Troop held a Klondike derby on the Falconer Farm.
The Troop had 65 active scouts and 17 explorers.
The Explorers canoe the Chicopee River from Quabbin to Ludlow.
The Troop and post participate in the Cavalcade of Scouting camp out at the Eastern States Fairgrounds.
The Troop participated in the District Camporee at Dean Pond, in Brimfield MA.


1970

The Scout Banquet featured Kenneth Abair who talked on his experience in the Peace Corps.
The Troop participated in the District Camporee at Sleepy Hollow in Brimfield MA.
Bean suppers are held to raise funds for camp development. Father Leo Leclerc attended the Troop's winter campout.
The Troop participated in the Polish American Parade held in Indian Orchard MA.
The Troop has 70 scouts and is divided into Troops A and B.
The district Camporee is held at Camp Robinson in Westfield Mass.
The Explorers begin holding their meetings at the Falconer home. Their program includes cleaning up the Nature Trail at the Belchertown State School and sending James Dennis to winter survival training the Moses Scout Reservation.



1971

The Troop and Post hike the Knox Trail from Blandford to the Horace A. Moses Scout Reservation.
Former Scout Francis Bourcier is selected to be the Pioneer Valley Council Chairman of the Annual Sustaining Membership Drive
The Troop participated in the first National Cleanup day called Project SOAR, sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America.
Bean supper held to raise funds for camp improvement.
The Explorers held a deep sea fishing trip out of Rockport MA.
The Troop uses a Scout campground in Wellfleet Ma. on Cape Cod for a November camping trip. The Ocean was warm enough to swim.
William R. Falconer 3rd leaves Exploring to devote time to adult training programs at the district and council levels.
The Explorers conduct a council wide winter survival training course at camp Woronoak under the direction of Leonard Patrie.


1972

The Troop continues the Knox Trail Hike from Stanley Park in Westfield to the Springfield Armory.
The Troop participates in Project Soar by cleaning up East St. from Tower Rd. To Miller St.
The Explorers go on a 150 mile fishing and canoe trip on the upper reaches of the Connecticut River in VT.
A Gigantic Tag Sale on the Lawn of St. John the Baptist parish yields $1025. Troops 190, 1, 181, Girl Scout Troop 611, Pack 180 and Post 180 take part under the Chairman William Falconer 3rd.
The first of many Catholic scout retreats is held at the St. Hyacinth Monastery in Granby, Ma.
The Explorers hike the Seven Sisters Mountain Range in Granby.


1973

The Troop participates in the week long Eastfiled Mall Display.
Major National changes in the Scout Uniform and Advancement Programs are introduced.
The Troop participates in the Wide World of Scouting at the Eastern States Exposition grounds.
Troops 180, 1, 181 and 182 coordinate and carry out a plan to recycle paper and glass at the Ludlow dump chaired by William Falconer 3rd.


1973

The Troop Participates in the Town wide 4th of July picnic at the Ludlow Fish and Game Club
The Troop June camping trip is held at Alex Jurkowski's camp in Newfane VT.
A clean up detail is conducted at the Fish and Game Club after a motorcycle race.
A drug awareness program is conducted by the Ludlow Police Dept. for the Troop.


1974

Explorers conduct winter survival course at Camp Woronoak. Troop and Post march in the Ludlow Bicentennial Parade. Post begins a karate program at their meetings.
The first women to be registered on the Troop Committee are Ella Falconer, Margaret Lavoie and Stephanie Nowak.


1975

Post begins scuba diving lessons.
Bean Supper revival was held with the beans baked by Simone Rae and Bert Abaire.
Fifty-nine boys are registered.


1976

Troop participates in the Knox Trail Hike.
Troop and Post canvas town for donations to buy Jaws of Life equipment for the Ludlow Fire Department.
The Troop conducts a physical fitness program at the Eastfield Mall during Scout Week.
The Troop participates in the Heritage 76 Jamboree at Westover Field which was conducted by the Pioneer Valley Council.
The Disabled American Veteran's of Ludlow Purchase a new Troop flag.


1977

The Troop participates in the Horizon 77 Encampment at Westover Field which was conducted by the Pioneer Valley Council.

<return to page index>


THE SCOUTMASTERS  (from document dated  11/04/1996 by William Falconer III and updated to current)


Years  Name
1939-1939 Rev. Raoul W. Ouellette
1939-1941 Louis J. Girard
1941-1944 Joseph Beauregard
1944-1945 Gedeon J. Domingue
1945-1947 William R. Falconer Jr.
1947-1974
1974-1976
Maurice A.Lavoie Sr.
William R. Falconer III
1976-1976 Stanley J.Skura Sr.
1976-1978 Francis Berthiaume Sr.
1978-1989 Maurice A. Lavoie Sr.
1989-1993 William R. Vershon Jr.
1993-1996 Paul A. Gerstenberger
1996-2000 Leonard Nadeau
2000-2005 Mark Abert
2005-2014 Keith Davies
2014-2016 Howard Pearce
2016- Jerry Ducharme


<return to page index>








Ċ
Phil Brodeur,
Feb 18, 2017, 8:44 AM